I made another summer tunic. This time I used a very old pattern in my stash - New Look 6357. It's actually a swimsuit pattern with a tunic/cover up, pants and a bag. I had wanted to make the swimsuit way back when but never did. I looked at the tunic recently and decided to make it for a loose fitting summer tunic. I used stash fabric as well - a 100% cotton black and white print with shoes on it. I think it was meant for quilting/crafting more than apparel. But it's thin enough for a breezy tunic.
The top came together very easily. I shortened the waist slightly (my usual petite adjustment) as well as the sleeves (I wanted 3-quarter sleeves to make it more breezy). I chose the size based on the garment measurements at the back of the envelope. This is why I like patterns from Simplicity, New Look and McCall. You can choose how fitted/loose you want your garment to be when the garment measurements are printed!
The pattern calls for loops to be made for the laces but I just did button holes along the neckline and weave a black tape through it. I made the tape with leftover black poplin fabric. But I'm still on the lookout for something nicer - may be a nice satin ribbon.
The body is a bit boxy which is understandable - it is meant to be a cover up for swimsuits. I have been wearing it a lot already. I like it because it was easy to sew, a little different from the other tunics I have made, and very cool to wear during this hot and muggy summer!