I have gone back to sewing for baby again. After buying and returning the 7th snowsuit - I gave up! Nothing off-the-rack fits this kid!!!!! ARGHHHHH!! He has a big belly, long body, bubble butt and thick thighs. The snowsuits were all too small (anything that says up to 24 months), or too big (size 2T for toddlers).
So of course he is going to get a custom snowsuit from mommy! I found some outerwear water resistant fabric, add some microfleece, a lining fabric, and off I go! I went online to study the looks of commercial infant snowsuits. Some of them were as expensive as $300! Really, $300 for something that a baby can wear only for a couple of months? Anyways, I'm adapting something from my pattern stash to make the snowpants and snow jacket. The first pair of prototype snowpants were too small, as I forgot to make it really baggy so that he can wear regular pants underneath the snowpants. I'm redrafting the pants now and I'm also drafting the jacket based on Simplicity 5316. The jacket in this pattern is a simple zip front one but it's just too narrow and short for my Baby X. So I need to basically make my own pattern based on this.
Since it's taking so much time to make him this triple layer snowsuit, he needs something quick so that he can go out in the car, and be exposed to the elements between the car and indoors. I have some leftover fleece-backed-sherpa fabric. So I quickly made a simple jacket for him, again based on Simplicity 5316. I added some width to the body and the front to accommodate the button-front opening. And voila! I was able to finish it last night after he had gone to bed! He tried it on this morning and it fit well, although, he is still not used to having to wear so many layers of bulky clothes. This should be good enough for him until I finish his snowsuit.